With all the incontinence products to choose from today, making a decision can sometimes be confusing. Incontinence briefs are used to prevent wetness and odor from bladder loss or the combination of urinary and fecal incontinence. Depending on the amount of coverage you need, keep in mind that adult diapers are offered in discreet cloth-like material and they are also offered with a plastic backing.
Both types of incontinence products do a superior job keeping you dry and odor-free, but if you are trying to figure out which incontinence brief is best for containing heavy wetness and odor for urinary and bowel incontinence, the plastic backed brief is your best bet. Let’s take a closer look at the protection plastic backed (poly-backed) incontinence products provide.
- A plastic-backed adult brief is stronger and will not tear easily due to its pliable construction. This, along with refastenable and adjustable tabs gives you a comfortable and custom fit that moves with you without creating gaps, so leaks will less likely occur.
- Those with Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome will benefit more from a plastic backed adult brief due to its ability to better contain fecal and urinary incontinence.
- The plastic backing better controls odor. It is harder for wetness and odor to escape plastic than it is with cloth or breathable fabrics. This makes a poly-backed brief a better choice if you work, participate in social events, or if you are in the public on a routine basis.
- A plastic disposable brief does not have clothlike or breathable side panels where odor or leaks can occur. Side sleepers will enjoy a better night’s sleep without unnecessary interruptions.
- The smooth plastic exterior of the adult disposable diaper can be worn under any type clothing for greater comfort. Because plastic is stronger, it will retain its shape better, even when soiled; this is especially beneficial for the waist and leg opening areas that they do not sag when the undergarment is wet.
- Caregivers benefit from a plastic backed adult brief’s greater containment level which makes for easier changes overnight and during the day.
If you or a loved one is managing heavy fecal incontinence and need a disposable brief that has a higher threshold for containing leaks and odor, then a plastic backed incontinence product will work best for you. Some plastic backed products to consider are the following:
- Abena Abri-Form 4 Original Style
- Absorbency Plus (A+) Level 4 Brief
- Confi Dry 24/7 Maximum Absorbency
- iD Slip PE Briefs
If you have any questions regarding which product to choose, give us a call at 1-800-411-3008. LiveAnew has a network of Customer Care Representatives who have first-hand knowledge of how incontinence products work and how to use them in a way that will best benefit you and your unique situation.